This was one of the yummiest vegetable side dishes I have thrown together in a long time. Born out of the need to do something with the gigantic head of cauliflower about to go bad in my fridge, I decided I would lightly steam it, then make a quick sauté the following night with spinach and cannellini beans. Then I sat down to eat dinner, forgot that the cauliflower was on the stove and burned my house down. Only kidding! I just ended up steaming the cauliflower until it was mush, no biggie. The next evening, I sautéed my spinach and cannellini beans with a bunch of dried herbs, added in the thoroughly cooked cauliflower at the the end, and as I folded it all together, it looked liked mashed potatoes! The softened beans lent the mix creaminess, and spinach always goes well with mashed potatoes, so it all seemed to just make sense together…Gotta love those happy food accidents!
- 5oz baby spinach (those Olivia’s packages are great for this)
- 1 15.5oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1-2 TB butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- a few healthy shakes each of dried: rosemary, sage, red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
What & How to Do It
- Cut your head of cauliflower into floret chunks and steam until they are easily mashed with a fork, approximately 20-30 min. Once done, mash with a fork. Meanwhile…
- Add the oil, garlic and herbs to a medium-large pot (you’ll need the extra room for your spinach), then turn the heat to medium. Let the ingredients slowly infuse their flavor into the oil as it heats and once you start to smell delicious aromas wafting from your pot, add in the butter, letting it bubble and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Add the beans to the pot, tossing them around for a couple of minutes, then add in the spinach and give the leaves a good coating in the oil mixture before popping the lid on and letting them cook down for another few minutes.
- Once the spinach is just shy of being cooked to your liking, add in the mashed cauliflower and fold it all together, adding salt and pepper to taste. Let this come together for another couple of minutes over the heat, then enjoy!